I took the wall one thrust me rudely by
- DMI number:
- First Line:
- I took the wall one thrust me rudely by
- Last Line:
- The walls the subjects but the way's the king's
- Poem Genre / Form:
- Epigram and Sestet aabbcc
- Manners and Travel
- John Heath
- Absolute (100%)
- 'Epigram. XVII.' from Two Centuries of Epigrammes: sig. B2v. Text in miscellany ID 1650 has minor variants.
- Sir John Davies
- Speculation (10%)
- Alexander B. Grosart comments that this and other epigrams 'have the ring of Davies in them'. Grosart, ed., The Works in Verse and Prose [...] of Sir John Davies, 3 vols (1869-76), I: 311, 351.